Menu

Is There Really A Strategy To Playing Online Slots?

There is no full proof way to win playing online slot despite the many articles out there that may tell you otherwise. Titles that say ‘100% Proven Method To Winning At Online Slots’ or ‘Secret Online Slot Cheats’ are all fake. Slots are designed so there is a house edge and if there wasn’t, well the online casinos would not dream of hosting them. However, there are slot strategies that can help you at least have a fighting chance of winning.

When you hear of slots professionals playing in places like Las Vegas, these people are rarely wealthy individuals. That said, some are because they have their finger on the pulse when it comes to playing the right slots. Not only that, many of them get to play the land based slots for free as they circulate the slot floors looking for machines that tourists have left money in, which brings a whole new meaning to the term ‘free spins bonus’!

Who Gets Rich Playing Slots?

According to dino88, there are plenty of stories out there from people that have struck it rich playing slots online. These people usually play a lot of progressive jackpot slots at the maximum line bet.

Most progressive jackpot slots will not pay out the main jackpot unless the player is betting the maximum number of coins and lines per spin. That means if you are playing a 25 line slot with a max of 5 coins per line, then the cheapest way to take a shot at the jackpot is bet the minimum denominator per coin. $0.01 is the usual bet people take, so this is basically $0.05 per line, and over 25 lines this is $1.25 per spin.

Slot players that do not have massive amounts of cash to invest in slots play have a full proof way of making their cash last longer. In the example above we can see that $1.25 per spin is the maxminimum budget, a player will bet in order to qualify for the progressive jackpot. Not everyone using this tactic will hit a progressive jackpot, but you will find the majority of those that have used the above max coins per line with coins set to the lowest denominator. As a result, their money goes further.

What Are RTP and Variation?

Another aspect about slots that frequent slot players understand is the RTP, which is known as the ‘Return To Player’. Slots use RTP instead of the house edge. For example, the slot RTP might be 95%, so the player has a 95% chance of winning. If we look at this from the point of view of the house edge, then the slot has a house edge of 5%.

Understanding RTP is important to understand how slots payout. You will have days where you can burn $100 in a session. Where was that 95% RTP you might ask yourself? This is where variation comes into the mix. You need to understand that you have up and down swings, just like when you roll a dice playing a simple board game like snakes and ladders. Sometimes you will roll low 1s, 2s or 3s 10 times in a row, then you will roll high 4s, 5s, and 6s 10 to 20 times in a row. Slots are no different.

If you understand that slots have variation, then you will be able to understand how to set the amount you should be betting per sessions, how long your sessions will last, or even set yourself how many times you will spin the reels every day. Some people set a limit of 200 spins per day by taking into account the slots RTP, but occasionally things do not work out as planned. In theory, a slot with a 95% RTP will pay $95 back every $100 bet. 200 spins would cost $10 in this example, but variation is not consistent and you could just as easily win nothing from those 200 spins.

Our advice is to learn about the size of your bets per spin, the RTP of the slots you are playing, and how to manage your bankroll.